The U.S. National Toboggan Championships are held annually in February at the Camden Snow Bowl in Camden, ME. Thousands of racers and spectators come to Camden to partake in this exciting event each year. The 2021 Championships were postponed due to Covid-19, but for 2022 - Camden is geared up to make it an exciting event! February 11-13, 2022.
We at the Captain Swift Inn want you to come and enjoy this event in the best way possible. Here are our best tips for making the most of a fantastic weekend:
- Stay with us! Parking for this event can be a bit tricky due to the large influx of competitors and spectators. From our Inn, you can walk to the village green and catch a community bus that will take you back and forth from the event. No parking becomes no problem!
- Dress for the event. The teams dress in fun costumes (like this), and spectators typically follow suit by wearing fun garb! Just be sure to add layers to your fabric expression. While there will be a bonfire, it can still get quite cold. You may also want to consider wearing ice trackers on your shoes for added safety. Most spectators spend a lot of time on the ice - Hosmer Pond.
- Bring a lawn chair and a cooler. Get comfortable while you are there, this is considered a bar-stool event. Consider bringing along a lawn chair for added comfort as you watch the toboggans shoot by.
- Food Trucks. When you arrive at the event, you'll be pleased to see that there are several food trucks in "tobogganville." Only worry about packing your chair and know that your hunger can be sated by local delights!
- Go skiing. If you get tired of sitting on the sidelines, be sure to check out the downhill ski trails, which will remain open during that weekend.
- Saturday. If you can only attend the event for one day, choose Saturday, as that's the biggest day for the event.
- Dress for the event. Be sure to check out the parade! The competing teams march around Tobogganville dressed in their fabulous costumes and it is truly a sight to behold. You won't want to miss it.
- Check out Downtown Camden Maine. If you have some time while you're visiting, be sure to check out downtown Camden. It has upscale shops, antique shops, restaurants, and more.
- Stay up to date. Keep an eye out on the official toboggan competition page and their Facebook page for up-to-date information regarding the weekend's events and other activities. Some years even have a chili cook-off, which is our personal favorite. Stay tuned to the even sites to make sure you're able to take in all that Tobagganville has to offer!
- Don't take things too seriously and have fun! This event is filled with folks who just want to have a good time. The team names are usually hysterical, the costumes are stellar, and with the proper mindset, you're in for a real treat of a weekend.
At the end of your bustling day, take the community bus back to the Captain Swift Inn to relax, refuel, and recharge. We can't wait to see you!